FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER AND YOUTUBE

@JaneAustenCode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKYzhndOGsI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9WkpqjJPR4
(& scroll down to read my literary sleuthing posts)
Thanks! -- Arnie Perlstein, Portland, OR

Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Jane Austen Puzzle #1

What coded advice does Jane Austen give to her readers for interpreting the subtext of Emma, using Mrs. Elton as her ventriloquist's dummy, in Chapter 42?

"That's quite unnecessary; I see Jane every day: -- but as you like. It is to be a morning scheme, you know, Knightley; quite a simple thing. I shall wear a large bonnet, and bring one of my little baskets hanging on my arm. Here, -- probably this basket with pink ribbon. Nothing can be more simple, you see. And Jane will have such another. There is to be no form or parade -- a sort of gipsy party. We are to walk about your gardens, and gather the strawberries ourselves, and sit under trees; and whatever else you may like to provide, it is to be all out of doors; a table spread in the shade, you know. Every thing as natural and simple as possible. Is not that your idea?
"

If you think you see the answer, email me at arnieperlstein@myacc.net. I will announce all those who give the correct answer on Wednesday, May 16, at 5 pm EST.--AP


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't get an answer. When will you post it?

Arnie Perlstein said...

Anonymous, see the answer I gave, above, and please post a comment saying what you think about my answer.--Arnie

Anonymous said...

When is P7zzle 2?

Anonymous said...

ooops -- PUzzle 2.

Anonymous said...

Good post.