I just listened to the 52 minute interview of Deborah Yaffe, author of Among the Janeites...
(the new book in which I am one of the obsessive Janeites profiled)
...and Colleen Sheehan, author of several pioneering analyses of Jane
Austen's word puzzles in Emma......
/http://www.jasna.org/persuasions/printed/pers22.html//(see ppg. 50-61)
Deborah and Colleen both did a spectacular job from beginning to end, as
did the interviewer from Radio Times, although Colleen did not get any
chance to speak about her "Prince of Whales" solution to the long
charade in Chapter 9 of Emma. The show was clearly aimed at an
audience of intelligent non-Janeites, and so there was no space for
"advanced topics" in Austen studies.
So, if you're looking for an extended audio clip (what a luxury to have
52 minutes!) that you could give the link of to someone you'd like to
introduce to Jane Austen in an entertaining, intelligent, lowkey way,
this is the perfect choice!
@JaneAustenCode on Twitter
- Deirdre Le Faye & Me: "I am a scholar, she is a scholar: so far we are equal"
- Darcy's "We neither of us perform to strangers": a Radical New Interpretation
- The Hunger Games’s Veiled Allusion to Shakespeare’s Titus Andronicus
- August Wayne Booth in Once Upon A Time: Jane Austen Really IS Everywhere in 2012!
- Rick Santorum would have been the worst person in the world to Jane Austen too!
- 20 shades of hero/villain Mr. Darcy
- The Great Gadsby: an overnight lesbian feminist ‘comedy’ sensation 10+ years in the making (& 3 millenia overdue)
- Austenland: The Movie was Fun, but the Novel was Better [SPOILER ALERT as to both]
- Can Jane Austen forgive Marianne?
- The secret codeword Shakespeare devilishly hid in plain sight in Romeo & Juliet that Shakespeare Uncovered DIDN’T uncover—but John Milton (and then I) did!
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Interview on WHYY's Radio Times Show: Deborah Yaffe (Among the Janeites) and Colleen Sheehan
Posted by Arnie Perlstein at 12:03 PM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment