FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER AND YOUTUBE

@JaneAustenCode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKYzhndOGsI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9WkpqjJPR4
(& scroll down to read my literary sleuthing posts)
Thanks! -- Arnie Perlstein, Portland, OR

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Imagine-ist

Two months ago I wrote a blog in honor of Paul McCartney's award evening at the White House, and some interesting Austen connections....

http://sharpelvessociety.blogspot.com/search?q=Rigby

...and so it is fitting I write another one today in honor of John Lennon's 70th birthday. I happen to be visiting my son in NYC this weekend, and so on impulse I walked up to Central Park West across from the Dakota, to see what was happening at Strawberry Fields today--it was very cool, must've been a crowd of nearly 1000 people there, and so it was
impossible to reach the memorial itself, but there was an impromptu chorus singing Beatles/ Lennon songs, and a lovely vibe, as people obviously from all over the world, young and old, were there, just to feel the moment.

And it was then that i decided to come up with a list of Beatles songs, with titles suitably altered as required, to fit Austen characters, in a way that would have pleased the wicked wit of both Jane Austen and John Lennon.

Here's my list, anyone who wants to add to it should feel free:

Mary Crawford and Edmund Bertram singing The Long And Winding Road

Mr. Woodhouse and Harriet Smith singing Vicarage Lane

Edward and Robert Ferrars singing Lucy in the Sky with Our Family Diamonds

Frank Churchill going solo on Magical Swisserland Tour

Henry Crawford singing Julia

Mr. Woodhouse taking an encore with I'm So Tired

and my personal favorite:

Emma and Mrs. Elton doing a raucous rending of Strawberry Feuds Forever

Cheers, Arnie

2 comments:

Jenny Allworthy said...

How about "Baby you can drive my barouche" by Robert Ferrars

or "You've got to hide your love away" by Anne Elliot

"Run for your life" by Catherine Morland

See you in Portland! Nice blog!

Arnie Perlstein said...

Thank you, Jenny, I will look forward to meeting you in Portland--bring all your friends to my session! ;)

Cheers, ARNIE